4.x transition blockage - workspace libs

Harald Sitter sitter at kde.org
Thu Jul 10 08:16:30 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 7:05 PM, Aleix Pol <aleixpol at kde.org> wrote:
> In the case of KDevelop, one can build it without libprocess4. I think it's
> an acceptable trade-off if we want to have kdevelop4 running on kdevelop5.
>
> I think other applications should take a similar approach. They're depending
> on libraries that are part of the workspace and we know they're not that
> much of a good idea to leverage, so it's now up to them to decide what to do
> with such unreasonable dependency.

That's part of the point. *We* do know workspace libs are not meant
for general consumption. Everyone else doesn't, they are named like
any other lib, they have a soversion, they install headers.
http://sentinella.sourceforge.net/ is not exactly an app we can
consider ours but it uses processui.

So we can provide some general compatibility (which is in fact
probably less work than patch out features/change them to not use the
libs) by letting distros compile kde-workspace in plasma5-compatible
library mode, or  we deliberately break that app and possibly others
that never ended up in an official distro repo.

It is all the more reason to look into ways to make it obvious that
certain libraries we install should be marked private in some way ;)

HS