[kde-packager] Re: [kde-packager] Plasma 5 RC

Luca Beltrame lbeltrame at kde.org
Fri Jul 4 10:06:54 UTC 2014

In data venerdì 4 luglio 2014 10:35:11, John Layt ha scritto:

Hello John,

> really want is for them to be able to try Plasma 5 out while still
> being able to switch back to 4 if there are things that break their
> workflow.

At least for openSUSE we have this planned. By choosing either the "plasma5-
session" or the "kdebase4-session" packages, the user willl be able to install
Plasma 5 or the 4.x workspace, making this switch easy enough (each switch
willl remove / install the required packages).

There are also other alternatives that can leverage the pacakge manager's
capabilities (patterns, etc).

Either way, packaging tools that allow this are available, and it's likely the
same for other distros. I don't see this as a big issue as long as it's
properly documented. It's *much, much better* than shipping stuff out of
prefix.

--
Luca Beltrame - KDE Forums team
KDE Science supporter