new systemsettings categorization landed

Heiko Tietze heiko.tietze at user-prompt.com
Tue Jul 1 15:36:38 UTC 2014

Hi Vishesh & all,

I agree that it makes more sense to place it with the desktop stuff. Maybe we had application = file in mind? The only argument against desktop behavior is that this topic gets somewhat bulky. And I'm not sure that users will associate all the modules including file search with the caption. For balancing we should consider to split the topic perhaps like this

Application Features
* Accessibility
* File Search
* Activities

Desktop Behavior
* Global Workspace Options
* Desktop Effects
* Screen Edges
* Virtual Desktops

What do you think?

Cheers,
Heiko.

Am 01.07.2014 17:09:31, schrieb Vishesh Handa:
> Hey guys.
> I don't understand why "File Search" (formerly Desktop Search) should go under Applications.
>
> Current application which can be used to search for files - Dolphin.
> >
> Current workspace stuff which can be used to search - KRunner, Milou, Kickoff and Kicker.
>
> It seems rather odd for it to be under applications. Could someone please elaborate on the rationale behind it? I've tried reading the forums, but I haven't really found much.
> >

> On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 1:11 PM, Sebastian Kügler > <> sebas at kde.org> >>  wrote:
> > Hey,

So as the subject suggests, I've just landed the new categorization for

systemsettings. Changes are all over the place, so if you just update single

repositories, your systemsettings will be quite empty. If you're re-running

kdesrc-build, you'll find a mess with old and new categorized intermixed (is

"intermixed" a word? If not, we should make it one.)

A clean installation will give you the desired results, but you can also just

delete all categories before running kdesrc-build:

rm `kf5-config --prefix`/share/kservices5/settings*

(Use at your own risk.)

After that, running kde-src build should get you into the new systemsettings

state. If you notice anything strange, please refer to this thread and discuss

your issues there: > > http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=285&t=121053&start=60

If you notice that I did something wrong when turning the huge graphic into

changes to .desktop files, please let me know, and I'll fix it.

Special thanks goes to our interaction and visual designers who did the

research for this new categorization. I personally think it's a big

improvement.

Going forward, there's a lot of work ahead, and this is only the beginning. We

need to overhaul KCMs, we need to simplify settings, modernize UIs, and we

will likely also introduce a new shell (which we can do gradually with the

different view plugins in systemsettings). For an experiment, try the

sebas/quick branch in systemsettings. This new categorization is only the

first step, and we decided to push this into 5.0, since it's a user-visible

change, and we can keep things rather more stable from here on out.

Cheers,
> > --

sebas