new systemsettings categorization landed

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Tue Jul 1 11:11:40 UTC 2014

Hey,

So as the subject suggests, I've just landed the new categorization for
systemsettings. Changes are all over the place, so if you just update single
repositories, your systemsettings will be quite empty. If you're re-running
kdesrc-build, you'll find a mess with old and new categorized intermixed (is
"intermixed" a word? If not, we should make it one.)

A clean installation will give you the desired results, but you can also just
delete all categories before running kdesrc-build:

rm `kf5-config --prefix`/share/kservices5/settings*

(Use at your own risk.)

After that, running kde-src build should get you into the new systemsettings
state. If you notice anything strange, please refer to this thread and discuss
your issues there: http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=285&t=121053&start=60

If you notice that I did something wrong when turning the huge graphic into
changes to .desktop files, please let me know, and I'll fix it.

Special thanks goes to our interaction and visual designers who did the
research for this new categorization. I personally think it's a big
improvement.

Going forward, there's a lot of work ahead, and this is only the beginning. We
need to overhaul KCMs, we need to simplify settings, modernize UIs, and we
will likely also introduce a new shell (which we can do gradually with the
different view plugins in systemsettings). For an experiment, try the
sebas/quick branch in systemsettings. This new categorization is only the
first step, and we decided to push this into 5.0, since it's a user-visible
change, and we can keep things rather more stable from here on out.

sebas