Release schedule for Plasma Next

Martin Graesslin mgraesslin at kde.org
Wed Jan 29 15:52:51 UTC 2014

On Wednesday 29 January 2014 13:52:43 Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We said that we wanted to release Plasma Next early this summer, so it's
> about time we nail down a release schedule.
>
> Proposed Release Schedule
>
> * Mon, 10th March Feature Freeze
> * Thu 13th March Beta 1
> * Tue 15th April Beta 2
> * Thu 15th May Release Candidate
> * Tue 17th June Plasma 2014.6 Final
>
> This gives us another good 5 weeks to finish missing features we identified
> during the sprint, and then 3 months in which we can make it really shine
> for release.
>
> What do you think?

I suggest to significantly increase the number of intermediate releases. One
month between RC and final is too long. I would prefer to have a series of
release candidates and a release candidate should be exactly that: a candidate
which could be the release. Given the schedule I don't think that the Release
Candidate would count as that, but rather as another beta without any RCs. In
the time of the release candidates I would like to see us focusing on quality
by only addressing issues which are release-critical. Large work to fix a bug
which could end up in yet another layer of regressions should not be done.
Given that I would suggest to not put a final release date into it. It should
be the first release candidate which has no release-critical bug fixes [1] (idea
stolen from Debian). Or in short: it's done when it's done and not when we hit
the date ;-)

So as what Eike already suggested: first versions should be Alphas, afterwards
I suggest more betas and more release candidates.

Cheers
Martin

[1] This obviously needs some definition of what we consider a release-critical
bug