Release schedule for Plasma Next

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Wed Jan 29 14:53:21 UTC 2014

On Wednesday, January 29, 2014 15:52:38 Eike Hein wrote:
> On Wednesday 29 January 2014 13:52:43 Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> > What do you think?
>
> I'd like to propose:
>
> * Renaming Beta 1 to "Alpha", mostly to hedge our bets on expectation
>   management. I realize we haven't been using Alpha for the KDE 4 SC
>   schedules lately, but Plasma Next isn't in "always summer in trunk"
>   mode just yet. Reintroducing the Alpha milestone or not might mean
>   making a decision between garnering goodwill and optimizing for
>   tester uptake, but I feel like doing it would be the right thing
>   both for the goodwill factor and also to ramp up tester uptake and
>   thus public bug reporting more slowly than jumping right from a
>   Tech Preview into Beta.

+1

> * Adding a week or so between feature freeze and Alpha (aka Beta 1)
>   for integration in case anything lands late.

Let's aim for one week, we can delay the Alpha if need be, but realistically,
we should only integrate things that are really done. Ways to make the post-
feature-freeze week not cause havoc:

- test other people's branches that are close to merge
- help reviewing code
- fix bugs that you notice right away, if possible

With that, we can aim for 1 week between freeze and Alpha, but we can choose
to run out in case of showstoppers (and do that in "stop-the-line-we-need-to-
fix-this-now" mode.

sebas