[kde-promo] Plasma Next Naming - Take 2

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Tue Jan 28 11:06:27 UTC 2014

On Tuesday 28 January 2014 11:50:34 Martin Klapetek wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 9:39 AM, Martin Gräßlin <mgraesslin at kde.org> wrote:
> > What we should consider when using such a numbering scheme is that it also
> > works with beta releases of Plasma Next. If we kind of stick to what we
> > use
> > today it could be.
> > 2014.06-90 for the beta release of Plasma Next with the last stable
> > release
> > having been in June 2014.
>
> How about simply adding "beta1"? Eg. "2014.06-beta1" or "2014.06.rc1"
>
> Plain and simple.

Is it? It makes everything more difficult as it's alpha-numeric instead of
just numeric and with such a scheme I would assume that it is the beta for
June 2014 release. Thus the release 2014.06 would have a smaller version
number than the beta release.

2014.06 < 2014.06-rc3
2014.06-0 < 2014.06-rc3
2014.06-final < 2014.06-rc3

etc.

And as already discussed using the date of the final release in pre-releases
is dangerous.

Cheers
Martin