Notes from "New OSD in Plasma 2"

Martin Klapetek martin.klapetek at gmail.com
Mon Jan 20 16:29:18 UTC 2014

On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 3:55 PM, Thomas Lübking
<thomas.luebking at gmail.com>wrote:

> KWin cannot take care of moving it if plasma determines the position, but
> i think that the client requesting the OSD should determine the
> preferred/requried screen (see brightness example for why) and KWin the
> position.

Currently Plasma does not determine the position afaics, just the size, the
placing looks like it's done by kwin. How would the positioning work inside
kwin and where? I now set the NET::Notification window type on the OSD,
would there be some special "if (windowType == NET::Notification) {
position stuff; } ? I'd like to play around with that for a bit.

> KWin can then avoid window collisions (as is now, in "smart", maybe with a
> center preference) and esp. fullscreen windows in the multiscreen case (if
> the OSD doesn't care), resp. we can allow a particular placing for OSDs
> (what could more or less be a simplified config for a window rule on
> screen/placing/position)
> "Smart" placement is typically not a client job.

+1

> Most important (from client side) about this window type should be fully
> input shaped ("output only") and denying input focus (latter "faking"
> override_redirect)
> We cannot enforce either from KWin's side if we're re-using an existing
> type.

Done now.

> OT about flash: minitube.

Btw does it also handle when you click a youtube link you got from someone
(IM, email etc)?

Cheers
--
Martin Klapetek | KDE Developer