Summary of bugtracker situation discussion

Martin Graesslin mgraesslin at kde.org
Sun Jan 19 07:48:48 UTC 2014

Hi Christoph,

during the Plasma sprint we discussed the bug situation and want to get your
feedback on our ideas. In case there is a team mailing list please feel free
to forward the mail. Our goal is to improve the situation with Plasma 2. We
have to admit that we have failed with the current bugzilla situation and that
we are probably not able to clean that up.

One of the problems we identified is that we just get way too many bug reports
to be able to handle. All bugs and all wishlist items end up in the product
plasma. That's just too much. Our idea here is to focus, focus and focus. The
Plasma team only dedicates itself to maintain the "essential" parts (to be
defined, e.g. taskmanager, digital clock, launcher...) everything else (e.g.
comic strip) should not end up in the product plasma but in a different product
or in many products. This could depend on what the maintainers of the products
want.

With that change in place we should be able to reduce the number of incoming
bug reports to a level that we could start caring. Our idea in that regard is
that each of our essential components has a maintainer who looks into the bug
reports.

Another idea is also to reduce the number of incoming crashers. One thing we
had seen in the past is that 3rd party applets easily crash the system (hello
python). We don't care about those. We could implement this by a system like
what Linux kernel uses: 3rd party module means the system is tainted and the
crash report gets discarded. That might filter out some legit crashes, but
those will be reported again.

On the field of wishlist items we thought about not accepting any ideas for
"new plasmoids" any more. We only care about the essential modules and thus
are not interested in developing new non-essential plasmoids. So all incoming
wishlist items for new plasmoids  could be just closed with a standardized
message.

Last but not least we also had some ideas for the current situation. We don't
think it's possible to ask the maintainers of essential modules to go through
the Plasma 1 bugs and check whether they are still valid. Given the terrible
state we would scare anybody away from becoming maintainer. So we need to
improve that. One idea is to mass close everything which had been reported
against a version before 4.11. 4.11 is our long-term release and everything
else is unmaintained. This could cause some uncomfortable situations with our
users but if we draft a well written message our users might be able to
understand it. The second idea in that area is that we only care about the
Plasmoids written in QML from the Plasma 1 times.

What do you think about these suggestions? Do you think that will help to
improve the situation or do you have further and better ideas?

To the plasma team: in case I have forgotten something, please add it :-)

Thanks for your awesome work on the bugtracker!

Cheers
Martin