Notes from "New OSD in Plasma 2"

Martin Graesslin mgraesslin at kde.org
Sat Jan 18 12:34:49 UTC 2014

On Saturday 18 January 2014 13:15:18 Martin Klapetek wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 1:03 PM, Martin Graesslin <mgraesslin at kde.org>wrote:
> > > Who should do the positioning? Plasma or KWin?
> >
> > I don't care, but I would say Plasma. I think that simplifies it given
> > that you
> > have to set x/y anyway.
>
> That actually brings another quesion - on which screen it should show up?
> I'd put it wherever mouse cursor currently is.
>
> Opinions?

Show it on all screens. That is create one OSD per screen. If that's not
wanted I'd say we use what KWin considers the "active" screen. And we could
take care of moving it there. (Active screen is depending on config option the
screen with the active window or the screen which has the mouse).

> > > Truth is you don't need to know the /exact/ brightness or volume level
> > > in
> > > fullscreen video, you simply fiddle with it until it suits you. In this
> > > case it's maybe not as much about showing the exact percentage, but
> > > about
> > > providing visual feedback that you hit the correct keys and that they
> > > are
> > > working - I can imagine cases where users will press it couple times
> > > more
> > > to actually check if the brightness controls do work.
> >
> > The main problem I used to have is when powerdevil changes the brightness,
> > especially when e.g. a TV is connected to the system. Kind of useless
> > then.
>
> I thought about exactly this case. But if you disable the OSD in "passive"
> actions, you might also miss that the computer is about to power off your
> display (the brightness goes down every once in a while and when it's at 0,
> DPMS will kick soon...by default). So I guess you do want some kind of
> notification on external TV in case you left your power management enabled.

Proper fix: DPMS should not kick in when a video is being played and there are
powermanagement hooks for it.

Cheers
Martin