Notes from "New OSD in Plasma 2"

Martin Klapetek martin.klapetek at gmail.com
Sat Jan 18 12:15:18 UTC 2014

On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 1:03 PM, Martin Graesslin <mgraesslin at kde.org>wrote:

> > Who should do the positioning? Plasma or KWin?
>
> I don't care, but I would say Plasma. I think that simplifies it given
> that you
> have to set x/y anyway.

That actually brings another quesion - on which screen it should show up?
I'd put it wherever mouse cursor currently is.

Opinions?

> > Truth is you don't need to know the /exact/ brightness or volume level in
> > fullscreen video, you simply fiddle with it until it suits you. In this
> > case it's maybe not as much about showing the exact percentage, but about
> > providing visual feedback that you hit the correct keys and that they are
> > working - I can imagine cases where users will press it couple times more
> > to actually check if the brightness controls do work.
>
> The main problem I used to have is when powerdevil changes the brightness,
> especially when e.g. a TV is connected to the system. Kind of useless then.

I thought about exactly this case. But if you disable the OSD in "passive"
actions, you might also miss that the computer is about to power off your
display (the brightness goes down every once in a while and when it's at 0,
DPMS will kick soon...by default). So I guess you do want some kind of
notification on external TV in case you left your power management enabled.

Cheers
--
Martin Klapetek | KDE Developer