[kde-promo] Plasma Next Naming

Martin Graesslin mgraesslin at kde.org
Sat Jan 18 08:23:06 UTC 2014

Hi all,

thanks to Martin for providing the pointer. Please everyone keep both lists in
the CC. Replying to the thread makes it really difficult otherwise.

That's why I am not replying to any mail know.

I just want to add a few notes to the "code name" topic. First of all I think
that any comparison to Ubuntu and MacOS does not matter. Whether they are
successful or not cannot be reduced to the name at all. Also I want to point
out that during our discussions we hardly scratched the topic of those
communities. In the case of Ubuntu it was only in the negative. I remember
that we:
* considered the name as too difficult (it's always an English word at least I
had never heard before and my English is not that bad ;-)
* considered it as a problem in discussions with externals. E.g. upstream-
downstream communication is broken when referring to the code name
* they use multiple code names and sometimes it's referred to as the adjective
and sometimes the complete name

I cannot remember that we discussed the Mac case. But I brought up the topic
of code names and I got the inspiration from Eclipse which uses a moon name
scheme. Which I find quite neat given that it needs a moon to get an eclipse.

Whether or not to use the code name in external communication I do not want to
comment on, but I want to point out that we need a code name for our internal
communication as the date scheme doesn't work for internal communication. The
release might get delayed to another month and that could make things difficult.
In that thinking the code name might also be useful during announcements of
beta releases which are targeting the more informed people anyway.

The initial idea I gave for a code name pattern was using famous persons of
the field of Physics. E.g.
* Plasma Cooper
* Plasma Hofstadter

The thought here is that Plasma already uses many words from physics in it's
internal naming. E.g. Plasmoid, Corona, Containment, etc. So I thought that
would be nice in the scheme. As said I got the inspiration from Eclipse.

The argument against that scheme was that it's too geeky and e.g. a "Plasma
Einstein" would reference complexity and not an easy to use. If we consider to
not use the code name in the external communication it would be possible to
use a more geeky scheme again which is fun for us to use with. Looking at
other projects which do that they seem to have lots of fun with it (hello
Beefy Miracle (worst name ever)).

Cheers
Martin