Systemtray breakout notes

Martin Klapetek martin.klapetek at gmail.com
Fri Jan 17 09:23:48 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 6:01 PM, Sebastian Kügler <sebas at kde.org> wrote:

> Some applications nest in the systemtray, and appear in both taskbar and
> systemtray. We'd like to merge their entries. Example: Kmail's taskbar item
> could show the number of unread emails as an overlay, instead of having a
> separate icon in the systray.

Note that there exists DockManager API for exactly this purpose and
IconTasks is implementing it. Also Chrome/Chromium was integrating with it
(IconTasks using DockManager), I don't think it does anymore, though their
dockmanager handler checking is weird (basically they check for some
ubuntu/unity lib being loaded in memory), but it may have changed since I
last looked.

Cheers
--
Martin Klapetek | KDE Developer