[kde-promo] Plasma Next Naming

Martin Klapetek martin.klapetek at gmail.com
Thu Jan 16 12:19:24 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 12:09 PM, Aleix Pol <aleixpol at kde.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 9:48 AM, Marco Calignano <
> marco.calignano at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Why do we have to start with A? I guess we can (at least for the first
>> release name) find the name of the fish that better represent the
>> characteristic of Plasma 2 . Like a fish that is fast and pretty to look
>> at, or maybe rare but wanted because is good.
>> All other release can go in alphabetical order or not, why do we have to,
>> if we also have the version year and month that tells us the chronology?
>> Only because Kubuntu does that? I think it is limiting, I suggest to stick
>> with a marine name but forget the alphabetical order, or at least the
>> starting point being A.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Marco
>>
>> Using alphabetical order is useful to be able to compare two release
> names and be able to know which one is older and more or less how far apart.

Wasn't one of the concerns (I think by Alex) that Kubuntu devs are always
talking "raring" or "saucy" and we never know which version it is; so that
we should always talk the version numbers instead (and even not knowing the
fish name beforehand)? If people agreed on always using the date version
when talking about a release, using random names would not be a problem I
think.

However using an alphabetical order seems just more practical because
people will keep using fish names when communicating, so it would at least
make our (as in developers) lives easier. *shrug*

Cheers
--
Martin Klapetek | KDE Developer