[kde-promo] Plasma Next Naming

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Tue Jan 14 19:34:15 UTC 2014

El Dimarts, 14 de gener de 2014, a les 20:18:17, Sebastian Kügler va escriure:
> Hey,
>
> Until now, we've been using "Plasma 2" as a working title for the next
> version of Plasma. We never formalized this, and the last discussion we had
> about this died out without producing a clear result. We've gone over these
> points during the sprint, and discussed some details about it.
>
> Some things that came up that we think are important for a new name:
>
> - We don't want it to be too technical, it should be engaging to "normal
>   people"
> - Version numbers seem confusing an not very expressive, these should rather
> be a technical detail (for example to group bugzilla entries)
> - We want something that can be related to its release date
> - We don't want to see it tied to a single class of devices
>
> We came up with the following scheme, which we'd like to propose:
>
> * The upcoming release of the KDE Plasma Workspaces is called Plasma
> * The version number used is Month (as name) + year
> * Each release gets a codename based on a marine animal (*1), in
> alphabetical order, one for each feature release
> * The exact name should be decided by the promo team (we have domain experts
> that can give input, *ahum*)
> * "workspaces" should hardly be used at all, it's a technical term and
> doesn't bear all that much meaning for users
>
> So, some examples how that's used:
>
> * "Please file a bug against Plasma June/2014"

I do like it, but how does this work with bugfix vs feature releases?

I.e. as a user may want to see if the new release i'm going to install is a
bugfix release (i.e. i'm going from 4.12.0 to 4.12.1) or if it is a new
feature release (i.e. i'm going from 4.12.0 to 4.13.0).

Cheers,
  Albert