javascript interactive console

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Wed Feb 26 18:51:54 UTC 2014

On Wednesday, 2014-02-26, 19:00:49, Marco Martin wrote:
> On Wednesday 26 February 2014 18:51:34 Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > On Wednesday, 2014-02-26, 11:27:04, Marco Martin wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > > yesterday i was toying with porting the javascript interactive console
> > > for
> > > plasma-shell.
> >
> > Maybe that is a stupid question, but how Plasma specific is this console?
> > Would it be something other QtScript/QJSEngine using applications could
> > find useful as well?
>
> the specific part is that it needs to be in the same process as the plasma
> shell.
> if some kind of api is done to link the whatever bindings are in the
> application that is using qtscript and the console (just something really
> easy, like run this string with a script) then i guess it would be realistic
> provising a console like that in a public library

I am most likely confused by the terminology :-)

So do I understand this correctly that it needs to be part of a specific
process, not just any process with a script engine.

Due to doing something like runtime symbol lookup, i.e. expecting certain
QObjects to exist?

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring