plasma workspace integration for akonadi

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Mon Feb 10 12:41:39 UTC 2014

On Monday, February 10, 2014 11:25:41 Marco Martin wrote:
> On Saturday 08 February 2014, Heena Mahour wrote:
> > Re implementation of lion mail is required in any case .
> > It is currently using data engine which is not the required tool as it
> > should use models throughout and all is based on QGraphicsView .
>
> just for completeless,
> dataengines don't have anything to do with qgraphicsview.
> also, in plasma2 dataengines can export normal qabstractitemmodels. the
> difference with model imports is that are shared between multiple applets,
> that with a potentially ubiquitous (and big footprint) as akonadi, can make
> the difference

Yes, with the new dataengines, this would be just fine.

BUT ... we don't have those models in KF5, which means we'd need kdepimlibs
ported, which ... well, rewind to the start of this thread.

The UI needs a complete rewrite as well, which means that basically everything
will have to be done from scratch, minus the UI and interaction concepts,
which I think are pretty sound.
--
sebas