Feedback on xdg-shell from Plasma crew

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 09:32:44 UTC 2014

On Monday 15 December 2014, Jasper St. Pierre wrote:
> [0] We all remember terrible WinAmp skins, and Chrome's use of the titlebar
> on Windows got some angry, but MS is starting to use the titlebar space
> more effectively on their own apps. Office and Visual Studio now have their
> own style, ignoring the OS titlebar entirely. Android now allows the
> application to customize and change the status bar along with the
> notifications bar and actions bar at the top and the bottom, which have
> traditionally been seen as the OS decorations.
> http://www.google.com/design/spec/style/color.html#color-ui-color-applicati
> on

but yet, they are not allowing the applications to just put random things in
the top and bottom bar, but is more a limited protocol that lets them set the
color or draw behind it, that looks way more sane exactly because gives less
freedom to applications, while still allowing them to customize something

--
Marco Martin