VDG suggestions and wishes about the system tray

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Sun Aug 31 11:17:34 UTC 2014

On Saturday, August 30, 2014 14:31:16 Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> Yes, that doesn't say that Plasma will definitely hide passive SNIs, but
> according to this specification, developers should actually _expect_
> visualizations to hide passive SNIs. So,  according to this specification,
> applications that rely on passive SNIs _not_ to be hidden are clearly doing
> it  wrong, and we could hit them over the head with the spec if they
> complain.
>
> [1] http://www.notmart.org/misc/statusnotifieritem/statusnotifieritem.html

Note that from my experience, it doesn't work like that. Application authors
won't complain, giving an opportunity to "hit them over the head with the
spec", they'll just abuse the implementation to get the behaviour as close to
what they imagine to be good (whether it is good or not is a different story
entirely). This is not "wrong or right" thing, it's a matter of encouraging
the right behaviour (and offering something desirable in the first place).

That said, I'm not against trying it.
--
sebas