VDG suggestions and wishes about the system tray

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Thu Aug 28 12:32:38 UTC 2014

On Thursday, August 28, 2014 13:38:49 Marco Martin wrote:
> > > it  is a really a bad thing to have so many empty panels in - no
> > > devices,
> > > no notifications, no batteries etc.
> >
> > I think for batteries, we're doing that already (at least in Plasma 4 we
> > didn't add the battery plasmoid to the panel for desktop systems).
> >
> > For notifications and storage devices, I quite like the idea. Maybe worth
> > try to hide them completely and gauge the user reaction? (I can imagine
> > nobody would miss it.)
>
> one thing i would love, is to expand what we are doing with dbus activation
> of  plasmoids, even tough for things like "not having any removable storage
> device attached" would require some more complex rules

I'd think that dbus-activated plasmoids don't need this, since they come and
go already (makes them essentially hidden).

For the devicenotifier, it has to stay, since it could be configured to show
non-removable devices as well, so the logic currently in there is fine, and we
can rely on the status.
--
sebas