Request: better override functionality in locale settings

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Thu Aug 28 10:15:49 UTC 2014

On Thursday 28 August 2014 10:06:07 John Layt wrote:
> Just setting the standard POSIX codes has one very big advantage in
> being universal: all apps running under Plasma will respect them,
> rather than just KDE apps. If we implement a Qt-only solution then any
> POSIX/glibc/Java/Firefox/
> Chrome/etc apps will look out-of-place again,
> as they did under KDE4.  Any solution needs to apply to everything
> (even if not everything is implemented at once).

Exactly: If users set the locales/formats within Plasma, they are likely to
expect them to be applied by all application, regardless of the toolkits they
use (or whether they have a GUI at all), so setting the locale envars makes
more sense than having another KDE- or Qt-specific layer.

[snip]

> All that is besides the point with the System Settings module.  We did
> say at the time that a drop-down with 200+ entries was probably not
> the best solution, but it was an interim implementation for 5.0.  I'm
> sure with a little thought we can come up with a better way of
> managing such long lists, for example with a pop-up selector which
> includes filters by language or region, or something like that.

Great, so just regard the bug I've filed s a reminder that we still have to do
this ;)