VDG suggestions and wishes about the system tray

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Thu Aug 28 10:02:04 UTC 2014

On Wednesday, August 27, 2014 10:12:54 Ivan Čukić wrote:
> I'm not going to chime in regarding the applications - I tend to agree with
> both parties - that not everything needs to be shown, yet that people like
> some of their applications minimized to tray (myself included - I even hide
> those applications from the task bar).
>
> One thing where I fully support the proposal is for plasmoids in the tray -
> it  is a really a bad thing to have so many empty panels in - no devices,
> no notifications, no batteries etc.

I think for batteries, we're doing that already (at least in Plasma 4 we
didn't add the battery plasmoid to the panel for desktop systems).

For notifications and storage devices, I quite like the idea. Maybe worth a
try to hide them completely and gauge the user reaction? (I can imagine nobody
would miss it.)
--
sebas