VDG suggestions and wishes about the system tray

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Thu Aug 28 09:59:18 UTC 2014

On Tuesday, August 26, 2014 22:35:01 Philipp Stefan wrote:
> In case of music players and similar, we feel like these applications
> should not provide their own status notifiers. E.g. a music player
> should be controlled via their mpris2 interface, which can be accessed
> by a separate plasmoid in the system tray.
> If the status notifiers are used like we intend them to, then the
> "passive" status really does not provide any benefit for the user any
> more. For example, if a music player idles, because the playlist has
> ended, then there's no difference between closing the window and
> reviving it again with the status notifier, or closing it and opening it
> again with KRunner, kickoff etc.

In reality, app developers will want to do something more rich, and then mpris
is suddenly not good enough. Also, restarting the app to bring its window  to
the front only works for unique apps (apps with only one instance), and is
completely different from what users are used to. (I do think it's logical,
and even Android does it this way without the world having ended yet, but it's
not typical behaviour for desktop apps, where there's a distinct difference
between apps running and apps not running (even if this difference is an
implementation detail) -- Eike already explained that as "application
lifecycle".
--
sebas