Request: better override functionality in locale settings

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Thu Aug 28 08:44:25 UTC 2014

On Wednesday 27 August 2014 19:16:29 Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> On Wednesday 27 August 2014 11:34:52 Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> > > In my opinion, this is a very serious usability regression and would
> > > stop me from using Plasma 5. Are there any plans to change the
> > > behavior/appearance of this settings applet?
> >
> > I don't know what it is, but anytime someome doesn't like something, it's
> > "usability" all of a sudden. Usability has a strict meaning, and
> > translating it to "I don't use it, but I don't like it, so it's bad
> > usability" isn't very useful.
> >
> > I understand that it changes you way you set up your system, of course.
>
> Actually, while the fact that choosing formats and units by locale instead
> of directly isn't necessarily a usability problem, presenting all locales
> in a single drop-down _is_ .
> See also the HIG for drop-down lists [1] which says "For a single selection
> out of a large number of items (n>20), use a list view". This is because, as
> Matthew stated, scrolling through a huge list inside a drop-down is very
> very cumbersome.
> I've just filed a bug about this issue [1].

eheh I just tried to configure my locale with the KCM and terribly failed. The
dropdowns are unusable to put it friendly. They are not properly sorted, so
typing "Germany" didn't take me where I expected, even more for whatever
reason each country is in it's native language, but also typing "Deu" didn't
take me to Germany as they are not sorted. I can see why having the native
language makes sense for someone who doesn't speak English and having
otherwise a hard time figuring it out. But if one wants to select just a
different time unit, it makes the task difficult.

So I chime in on: the dropdowns need to become more usable. A filter would
help a log I think. What would be totally awesome would be having a direct
preview of what the unit is. Maybe even with certain filter categories if it's
possible. E.g. "give me all metric locales"

Cheers
Martin