Request: better override functionality in locale settings

John Layt jlayt at kde.org
Thu Aug 28 08:38:10 UTC 2014

On 28 August 2014 09:28, Martin Klapetek <martin.klapetek at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 11:34 AM, Sebastian Kügler <sebas at kde.org> wrote:
>>

>> There's more than just metric and imperial. This page gives you a slight
>> impression of the complexity:
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_units#Current_use_of_imperial_units
>>
>> A binary combobox is just not enough to portray this correctly.
>

> I'm actually quite curious what does QLocale do with this complexity. Do
> they really do
>
> if (en_GB) {
>     beer_unit = pint;
>     milk_unit = liter;
>     etc...
> }
>
> That would be quite strange. I'll investigate and post back.

Yes, the locale code for each each category does determine what
translations will get used for that category.  While Qt doesn't (yet)
have that level of complexity, other toolkits may, such as glibc or
gtk or Java or ICU.  We're setting a desktop-wide setting here, not
just something for KDE/Qt apps only to use.

John.