Request: better override functionality in locale settings

Martin Klapetek martin.klapetek at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 21:30:34 UTC 2014

Hey,

thanks for getting in touch.

Let me give you a little back story. In KDE4 we used to have our own
"layer" of formatting. It was called KLocale and was part of kdelibs, aka
the KDE Platform. This was very powerful and allowed doing exactly the
thing you describe.

Now with the KDE Frameworks effort, we dropped as much of our layers as we
could and tried to move things to Qt itself as much as possible. KLocale
was one of those things that was told good bye. The Qt counterpart,
QLocale, is much less powerful than KLocale. And basically the only way to
set the things is to export couple LC_* system variables, which take only
the country/region as a valid value. So there's only so much we can do with
that. I do agree though that having a simple radio buttons for 12/24 and
metric/imperial would be nicer.

The date-time is a slightly different thing and allows alternative
formatting too, this could in principle be used to make the clock format
customizable, but at this point I don't think we're going to support that.

However I would support creating an alternative clock applet with all the
options one can possibly have, it can be hosted on kde-look.org and easily
downloadable by everyone.

Also, as Christoph mentioned, bugs.kde.org is the right place for reports
about bugs and/or things you'd like to see implemented :)

Cheers
--
Martin Klapetek | KDE Developer