Wayland protocols

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Fri Aug 15 05:47:27 UTC 2014

On Thursday 14 August 2014 19:21:54 Pier Luigi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just pushed some initial draft of the Wayland protocols on Github [1]
>
> I need people with knowledge of KF5 and plasmashell to comment it and
> suggest improvements.
>
> As we are speaking of protocols, please take a look at xdg-shell.
> It's going to become stable soon [2] please point out your suggestion
> before it's too late.
>
> [1] https://github.com/plfiorini/protocols
> [2]
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2014-July/016056.html

taskbar.xml:

First of all: I don't like the name, it's too specific to a possible visual
implementation. I'd suggest something like surface_management.xml.

This brings me directly to the second point: it's not about windows it's about
surfaces or maybe clients.

I'm not sure whether we need both minimize all and show desktop. On X11 it's
the same (show desktop) and KWin has a config option to influence the
behavior. I doubt it makes sense to pass such an implementation detail up to
the shell.

set_workspace: we don't have workspaces in the Plasma world, it's virtual
desktops. And I would remove the -1 as special value. Let's add a dedicated
state on_all_desktops instead.

why do we need raise/lower? So far the taskbar cannot raise/lower, at least
doesn't expose it. Raising comes implicit with activating.

What about changing states like maximized, fullscreen, keep above, below, etc?

Activities should probably be also exposed to the kf5_window interface?

Cheers
Martin