OSD above fullscreen windows

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Thu Aug 14 10:01:41 UTC 2014

On Thursday 14 August 2014 11:49:21 Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> On Thursday 14 August 2014 11:40:43 Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:

> > > and this would cause problems exactly in ... ?
> >
> > I agree that showing the OSD in the center of the screen while watching a
> > video would be rather annoying. There's a reason why most TVs put their
> > OSDs on the edge of the screen.
> > But as has been said, the Look & Feel of the PMC shell can take care of
> > that.
>
> on the other hand it also shows why I think that showing notifications
> relevant during a fullscreen window is active, must be in the responsibility
> of the application. Only the video player can know where the black bars are
> to place the OSD.

See Martin K.'s argument: People are more likely to use the dedicated volume
keys on their keyboards rather than shortcuts to change volume in the
application, so they are changing the master volume, not the application
volume. If we could ensure that all video players would catch changes in
masdter volume when full screen and display their own OSD instead of Plasma's,
that would surely be great, but I don't know if that's even possible let alone
realistic.