Autostart scripts (ksmserver problem)

Luca Beltrame lbeltrame at kde.org
Wed Aug 13 17:34:16 UTC 2014

Hello,

commit f913e251fe66e22606c380a8cc0ddc8c69e3c07d in plasma-workspace removed
autostart support in ksmserver because it caused .desktop files to be
autostarted twice (one for kinit, and one for ksmserver).

I just noticed that it causes a regression in behavior from 4.x times, as
user scripts (like adding ssh-agents etc.) are no longer run (because kinit
only runs .desktop files).

So, this needs to be either communicated to the users or handled differently
(yes, I don't want to wade through possible complaints in the forums ;)

My high (uniformed) level opinion on the possible scenarios:

- Re-enable autostart for everything but desktop files in ksmserver;
- Add support for scripts in kinit (does it even make sense? - from what Sune
said, probably not);
- Drop autostart scripts, tell users to make .desktop files

What do the gurus say on this?

--
Luca Beltrame - KDE Forums team
KDE Science supporter