Minutes Monday Plasma Hangout

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 15:31:35 UTC 2014

On Monday 11 August 2014, Marco Martin wrote:
> On Monday 11 August 2014, Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> > - Working on Look&Feel KCM
>
> One thing I would like to hear opinions about on this is:
> the look and feel kcm depends from 2 things inside 2 repositories:
> * the lookandfeelaccess class inside plasma-workspace, that at the moment
> is static
> * from plasma-desktop, kcms/krdb/krdb.cpp that is static as well, is used
> to apply colors icons etc to gtk and qt-only apps (now also to kde4 apps)
>
> so, either lookandfeelaccess becomes a public library or gets copied in
> plasma-desktop..
>
> opinions?

to better exemplify, i did put the kcm on plasma-desktop (had to copy the
lookandfeelaccess class)

so now it does some of the required fancy stuff like immediately applying
icons, cursors, widget style, colors to gtk apps..
(discovered a neat bug in the meantime, that QQuickWidget that was supposed to
solve all our problems just dies and stops rendering if the widget style
changes, but eh, whatever..)

all of that code is horrible kitten-killer old stuff, and comes from old kcms,
so i tried to use as much as possible including their files (some from
kcminput, some from krdb.cpp that's statically linked by half of the kcms)

so, horrible++ but i would go this way as the least horrible

--
Marco Martin