OSD above fullscreen windows

Martin Klapetek martin.klapetek at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 10:27:42 UTC 2014

On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 11:11 AM, Marco Martin <notmart at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday 12 August 2014, Vishesh Handa wrote:
> >
> > With Volume, I can maybe understand that you don't want to show it on top
> > and the relevant application should be showing it. Maybe. With the
> others,
> > they definitely should be.
> >

> on use cases like a media center, i would see more being always the
> application deciding how to show it..
> but, is something that can be put as a policy who does what, so if we
> decide
> the osd is always on top, then the hig should say full screen applications
> shouldn't try to show brightness, volume etc

However when you're watching a movie in $player and you hit your multimedia
volume keys, you are actually modifying the system volume level, not the
application volume level. Therefore I believe changing the volume using
your keyboard (which is handled by kmix) should always show the system OSD
for volume, application should handle when you change the application
volume (using the app's shortcut).

Cheers
--
Martin Klapetek | KDE Developer