Minimum translation percentage for Plasma 5 release

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Mon Aug 11 18:37:28 UTC 2014

Hi, in the 4.x world we have something called "Essential Packages" for
translations that is basically a set of minimum percentage of some files that
you need to get if you want the whole translation of your language to be
released with the 4.x SC.

For KDE Frameworks we have decided to not have a minimum of translation. Each
Framework will ship the translation files it has available.

The question here is if we want it or not for Plasma >= 5.1.

If we only ship languages with say >= 70% we ensure that the shipped languages
have a reasonable number of translations (one can't ensure quality).

On the other hand a hard limit is also a bit "unfair" to users, if the
translation drops to 69.5% because the translator went MIA, they will stop
getting the translation. Also it makes it harder for smaller teams to get
contributors, since the moment we drop it, it gets less visibility and thus
it's harder for the small team to get new contributors to help them reach the
required percentage again.

So I am leaning towards "no minimum", but I certainly welcome all comments and
am open to change.

Opinions?

Cheers,
  Albert