Application launcher on META key

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Mon Aug 11 06:39:29 UTC 2014

On Friday 01 August 2014 14:15:45 Marco Martin wrote:
> On Friday 01 August 2014 14:02:22 Eike Hein wrote:
> > On 08/01/2014 01:48 PM, Marco Martin wrote:
> > > As far i know, Martin had plans for it, but iirc only for wayland
> >
> > We'll have distros shipping Plasma 5 before Wayland which
> > are wondering e.g. whether they'll need to port ksuperkey
> > right now, so I think it's worth thinking about it before-
> > hand ...
>
> should check with him when he's back anyways, i'm not 100% sure if he said
> would have been only for wayland or if two different things wouldbe needed
> (probably) or whatever

shortcut only modifiers are problematic.We used to have support for it and
Lubos removed it. I once looked up the commit and the argument sounded sane.
Given how much X11 is a beast especially in this regard and how much we lack
wide spread knowledge (read Fredrik, Thomas or me) I highly recommend to not
add code for X11. If distros think they can provide the support for it and
manage the bazillion of possible problems (remapped keys, third-level
switchers, etc. etc.) that's all fine for them. But if we provide it, it has
to be the quality we expect for it. And I don't think we can provide that with
the sparely spread knowledge (just check how much of the shortcut handling is
not ported due to being to X-specific).

The plan for Wayland is to handle this specially in the input module in KWin
and only allow some very few actions and make the modifiers not configurable.

Personally I rather spent time on making it work in Wayland than to try to
understand bugs people will ping me with -)

Cheers
Martin