Review Request 106448: replace old kickoff with kickoff-qml

Eike Hein hein at kde.org
Sun Aug 10 04:35:16 UTC 2014

So I've been thinking about this some more (thanks, insomnia) ...

While my earlier notes are valid purely from a generic Plasma module POV, there may be a case for why favorites deserve special treatment and should be shared between launchers after all: The basic menu data already is. Perhaps favorites aren't launcher-specific configuration, but an extension of the menu data.

This may even be necessary to make shell switching fly; when switching between Plasma Desktop and a shell using something like Search-and-Launch, I'd probably want my favorites to come along indeed.

OTOH this sort of begs the question whether menu edits should be per-activity as well (maybe you want different menu folders in each) for consistency (if favorites are menu data, then activity support for customized menu data is only partial), and does mean giving up on per-instance configurability.

Both variants have benefits and drawbacks, and both introduce inconsistencies (at the interaction and ISV level). Tough.

Cheers,
Eike