Review Request 106448: replace old kickoff with kickoff-qml

Eike Hein hein at kde.org
Fri Aug 8 18:53:59 UTC 2014

On 08/08/2014 08:47 PM, Eike Hein wrote:
> Wild idea: Maybe we sort of need to integrate activity stuff
> at the KConfig level even? So keys can have an activity-
> specific value?

Or, you know, a less ambitious variant: Plasma widgets are
implicitly required to be implemented in a way that allows
them to react to new config data coming in from the outside
(because it can, via the desktop scripting API). In prac-
tice that was broken in many widgets in KDE 4, but Plasma 5
implements this fairly well thanks to the declarative
nature of QML.

That means at least for plasmoids, all the scaffolding for
"config key changed" is already there, so it would just
need some sort of additonal API to mark specific keys as
being activity-specific in nature, e.g. a new prop in the
KConfigXT XML file. Then the config machinery could just
key writes on current activity id, emit a change when the
activity changes, ...

Cheers,
Eike