Application launcher on META key

ctoennies at interstel.de ctoennies at interstel.de
Fri Aug 1 13:14:34 UTC 2014

On 01.08.2014 14:29, Eike Hein wrote:

> On 08/01/2014 02:15 PM, Martin Klapetek wrote:
>> Do you know about the patches? Are they any good/worth adopting and
>> maintaining upstream?
>
> Sorry, nope, don't have any on-hand. I vaguely remember that
> openSUSE had a patch in the early 4.x days, but e.g. Netrunner
> just shipped ksuperkey which is an external app that works as
> mentioned (hijack press+release of meta and send a fake Alt-
> F1).
>
> For a proper solution the challenges are:
> - We may have more than one launcher instance
> - Our shortcuts system doesn't like modifier-only key sequences
> - How to expose things in the UI
>
> Plasma already tries to handle some of this, e.g. activatable
> widgets show up in Global Keyboard Shortcuts and launchers
> default to Alt+F1, but I have no idea if it's trying to handle
> the multi-instance problem in some way.
>
> It's possible that the new alternatives system can help us
> there structurally somehow, since we now have a system to
> identify launcher widgets as such.
>
> As for the shortcut, I'm just thinking out of the blue here,
> but maybe the ksuperkey approach isn't totally shit - maybe
> we could similarly hijack an event pair and generate a
> XF86Menu event and have that as alternate shortcut for the
> launchers or something.

I would simply offer it in existing shortcut kcm (as checkbox-option to
turn on and off for just extra secure case if something should
conflict') and map to exisiting shortcut.
That way its not tied to anything, it's flexible and uses exactly the
ksuperkey mechanism.

When we tested distros in BCN back then I noted down all of the system
(other than rebecca black :) had it mapped.
https://help.gnome.org/users/gnome-help/3.7/windows-key.html.en

Greetings, Clemens.