plasma-framework in kdereview

Àlex Fiestas afiestas at kde.org
Fri Apr 25 13:14:46 UTC 2014

On Friday 25 April 2014 12:34:32 Marco Martin wrote:
> Hi all,
> since it was done earlier this week, better announce it formally, so
> everybody can actually do the -review part ;)
>
> the plasma-framework repository has been moved in kdereview, headed
> hopefully in frameworks.
> what it contains:
>
> * libplasma: it's the old plasma library that used to be in kdelibs
> * QML plugins that depend from libplasma, they are old too, and come from
> kde- runtime
> * libplasmaquick: a library that depends from libplasma and QtQuick: it's
> completely for internal use right now (just like the majority of the qtquick
> library) eventually it may become public in the future, so it doesn't
> install any header, not part of the public api.
> * at least one plasma theme: the shipped QML components don't really work
> without it, so one is "core"
> * there was the plasma shell: has been removed and moved to
> plasma-workspace, decreasing dependencies

Moving plasma-framework to frameworks means that we will loose flexibility
since we won't be able to break api/abi.

So, do we really have to move it there? Imho would be prudent to keep it
somewhere else where api/abi stability is not mandatory.

Also, right now there is only one user of this framework (plasma-desktop), I
would wait until at least we have 2 more shells based on it to commit to any
stability.

Cheers.