Qt Quick Controls style

Andrew Lake jamboarder at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 17:38:56 UTC 2014

On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 3:12 AM, David Edmundson wrote:

> Is the plan to make a QStyle theme that matches this pixel for pixel
> then apps will look the same despite which tech they happen to be
> using (and having a proper theme will work better and faster than the
> QtQuickControlsDesktop theme).

My own view is that QtQuick Controls is the way forward for Qt-based UI
design and implementation. If we get something close enough in a QStyle I
think that's fine. If we get a pixel for pixel match, then that's gravy.
But getting a QStyle done is, at least in my view, is now just backward
compatibility issue. It seems all the effort and optimizations in the wider
Qt community is focused on QtQuick. So I'm honestly not sure it's worth the
effort to get a precise pixel for pixel QStyle match for this design. I
think it'll be better to use the QtQuickControls style as the primary style
mechanism going forward and let a close-enough QStyle implementation handle
QStyle based apps. No one wants to maintain C++ based styles anymore when
styling in QtQuick is so incredibly easy. Yes it would mean we have to
figure out how to manage the style selection kcm, but I think that's
solvable.

As for Plasma Components, if it might be possible in the future to add
support for qml style files to the Plasma theme package to style Plasma
Controls while maintaining backward compatibility with Plasma themes,
that'd be great. I *think* that's what Marco mentioned. :-) So maybe if
widgets/ButttonStyle.qml instead of widgets/button.svg was present in the
theme package it would use the qml file to build the visuals for the Plasma
Button?

Anyway I've rambled on enough.

Andrew