Widget and windeco themes for Plasma Next

Andrew Lake jamboarder at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 16:39:56 UTC 2014

On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 6:48 AM, Ivan Čukić wrote:

> > I think it was already discussed and mutually decided that the path
> forward
> > is to continue using Oxygen as default widget and windeco for at least
> the
> > first Plasma Next release. The VDG work in these areas will be optional
> at
>
> I can confirm that this was the (general, but not unanimous) decision.
>
> Oxygen as the default, with the new 'in development' themes as an
> co-installed
> option.
>
> I do get Jens' point that it will not be as consistent as it can be.
>
> But, if you ask me, the first release is not really meant for genpop at
> all.
> But more for those that would like to experiment and try new things.
> (I guess this should be communicated better than we did with 4.o)

I'm trying as much as possible to manage expectations in the VDG forums but
it might be worth a explicit blog post or two from the VDG side and from
the Plasma side.

If we go with the original plan, I recommend the following small, low risk
changes to get our visuals looking somewhat more consistent for the first
release:

1. Ship the Breeze color scheme and set it as default. It's the same color
scheme the Breeze Plasma theme so that should provide some visual
consistency. I've tweaked it a touch while we were refining the UI controls
style and I'll add it to a new Breeze project repo, which I guess I'll
volunteer to set up (though if someone else could help on this it would be
much appreciated). Till then you can find it here: http://goo.gl/89iq2c
2. Turn off background gradients on the Oxygen style and window decoration
by default.

Regarding going with the QtCurve widget style, be aware that while we have
a Breeze QtCurve settings file that has been (mostly) validated against the
UI widgets design, it does not cover the window decoration design. The
visuals *might* look ok with the Oxygen window decoration with the
background gradients turned off, but I'm really not so sure it will.
QtCurve also does window decorations but it is unknown right now if we can
get it to match the window decoration design since the visual design for
that is about a week or two out from being finalized (it'll go through a
community design cycle like the UI widget design did). It is already
certain the current in-work window decoration design cannot be implemented
with QtCurve.

My own view? We go with the original plan for now with the two changes
mentioned above. On the off chance that the VDG comes up with a compelling
window decoration design that we can *credibly* implement in QtCurve AND
there is consensus at that point that the risk is sufficiently low, then
maybe we can switch to QtCurve as default for both the widget style and the
window decoration. Otherwise, it's looking to me like any QtCurve-based
solution would be optional for the first release.

Hope this helps! :-)
Andrew