Defaults: panel on each screen?

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Sat Apr 19 12:01:55 UTC 2014

On Friday 18 April 2014 14:10:05 Marco Martin wrote:
> On Friday 18 April 2014, Martin Klapetek wrote:
> > Hey,
> >
> > if there's no plasma config existing, plasma is run for the first time in
> > multi-screen env, should plasma create a (default) panel on each screen?
>
> no, i don't think so.
> I think we should pursue the default of "as clean as possible" and adding
> stuff by default only where strictly necessary.
> Btw, Unity does that by default and is a frequent complaint, while others
> like windows and mac don't

I agree with Marco here. The problem is that people use multiple screens for
all kinds of different purposes. For people who use two screens basically like
one very wide screen, a panel on each one may indeed be helpful, but that's
not always the case.
I, for example, have one dual-screen setup at home and one at work, and both
wouldn't benefit from a second panel:
At work, I have my laptop hooked up to an external monitor which is a lot
bigger than the laptop. I use the external monitor as my main screen and the
laptop monitor as my secondary screen where I place my mail client, music
player, etc. A panel on that screen would just waste space.
At home, I have my TV hooked to my PC, which I only use to play videos, so a
panel would not be helpful there, either.
Another common case for two "screens" is a projector, where people might not
like to have a panel, either.

Would I _would_ find useful, though, is to have  a "reduced panel" with the
things we consider useful for a second screen as a third pre-configured option
for "Add Panel". That way people could just add such a panel easily themselves
if they wish.

Cheers,
Thomas