Defaults: panel on each screen?

Martin Klapetek martin.klapetek at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 12:24:35 UTC 2014

On Fri, Apr 18, 2014 at 2:09 PM, Martin Gräßlin <mgraesslin at kde.org> wrote:

> On Friday 18 April 2014 13:52:20 Martin Klapetek wrote:
> > Hey,
> >
> > if there's no plasma config existing, plasma is run for the first time
> in a
> > multi-screen env, should plasma create a (default) panel on each screen?
>
> thinking out load: if plasma is without config and started in a
> multi-screen
> env that means it's also for kscreen the first time. How does kscreen
> handle
> this case? Start in clone mode or in extended? If it starts in clone mode
> it's
> kind of awkward if the user changes to extended and another panel is
> created.
> Maybe even make it difficult to notice whether the command succeeded -
> still
> looks like cloned.
>
> If it starts expanded then there's also the possibility that the user might
> think it's cloned because both screens look the same.
>
> On the other hand having two screens and only a panel on one might seem
> unpolished. Do we really need all of what is in the panel on both screens?
> Do
> we need two launchers? Maybe not. Do we need two tasks applets? if it shows
> different tasks per screen: yes. Do we need to systrays? Rather no. Do we
> need
> two clock? Could be handy. So maybe different configuration per panel makes
> sense?

One thing I find annoying is the amount of pixels one has to travel with
the mouse just to switch a task. Imagine two 24" screens next to each
other, your taskbar is one the left one and you're dragging the scrollbar
on some window on the right screen. Then you want to switch tasks using
mouse (because your hand is not on keyboard) and you have to travel good
2500 pixels (around a meter in real length), which involves lots of hand
and eyes movement. Then if the screen opens on the right screen again, you
have to travel all the way back.

Worth considering imho. Maybe just a panel with taskbar and clock?

Cheers
--
Martin Klapetek | KDE Developer