Please try to disable threaded rendering in KWin

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Fri Apr 18 09:47:01 UTC 2014

On Friday 18 April 2014 11:45:23 Marco Martin wrote:
> On Friday 18 April 2014, Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > those who experience problems with KWin/5 (looking at e.g. Vishesh, Aleix,
> > Alex) please give a try to run KWin with:
> >
> > QSG_RENDER_LOOP=basic
> >
> > This disables the threaded rendering in QtQuick. I'm currently using it
> > and
> > my experience so far is that the quality is massively improved. I got the
> > idea because I am experiencing problems on my main system (IvyBridge) but
> > not on my notebook (SandyBridge Mobile). A difference I'm aware of is that
> > the threaded rendering is disabled for SandyBridge Mobile.
> >
> > Any feedback on positive and negative is appreciated.
>
> Do you think it would make some difference also for other qtquick
> applications like plasma-shell? (some of our weird crash reports kinda look
> like screwups in threaded rendering)

maybe. Qt has a blacklist [1], so there are certainly problems and maybe that
needs a better detection (KWin experience: blacklist is unmaintainable,
whitelist as well). For KWin the situation is easier to consider disabling as
we don't have that much QML as Plasma and our own gl context which could cause
trouble.

In case of your system: yes if I were you I would give it a try :-)

Cheers
Martin

[1] see qtbase/src/plugins/platforms/xcb/qglxintegration.cpp void
QGLXContext::queryDummyContext()