An alternative for XEmbed

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Mon Apr 14 17:51:02 UTC 2014

On Monday 14 April 2014 19:19:33 Aleix Pol wrote:
> Hi,
> I've been using Plasma Next for the last days, and I must say it's really
> annoying to get applications lost on close, because they don't appear on
> the system tray and they expect to.
>
> Can we maybe figure out some alternatives so that it's bearable?

Sure. Install wmsystemtray and run it as:

wmsystemtray --bg-color white --non-wmaker

It also helps to have a window rule in KWin to make it a dock window and
undecorated:
[1]
Description=Application settings for wmsystemtray
desktop=-1
desktoprule=2
noborder=true
noborderrule=2
skippager=true
skippagerrule=2
skipswitcher=true
skipswitcherrule=2
skiptaskbar=true
skiptaskbarrule=2
type=2
typerule=2
wmclass=wmsystemtray0 wmsystemtray
wmclasscomplete=true
wmclassmatch=1

Cheers
Martin

P.S.: yes I want to write a blog post about it.