Review Request 117450: Add Milou to the default panel layout

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Sat Apr 12 19:55:55 UTC 2014

On Saturday 12 April 2014 21:29:17 Marco Martin wrote:
> On Saturday 12 April 2014, Vishesh Handa wrote:
> > a.) Most of the users won't discover the search in KickOff because there
> > is
> > no search bar. I could be wrong, but I don't think people think "if I type
> > here, it will start searching"
>
> yep, that's a problem that should be fixed, it should really show the search
> box by default

Yes, it should! In Gnome (and Gnome applications), "type to search" without a
search bar being visible previously is a common pattern, but in Plasma and KDE
applications it isn't.
We have talked about that with sebas, and his reply was along the lines of
"I'll leave it like that until there is an official decision on whether to do
this or not". However, it doesn't make sense to go it alone in one place.
Either we make this a general pattern, or we keep the prevalent pattern.

So yes, the search bar has to be always visible unless KDE decides that hidden
search field are the way to go and implements it as a general pattern.

Plus, showing the complete hostname and distribution (which is what is shown
now after the the "Type to start searching" is hidden) is not useful to most
users at all.

Cheers,
Thomas