Review Request 117450: Add Milou to the default panel layout

Jens Reuterberg jens at ohyran.se
Fri Apr 11 21:07:29 UTC 2014

Just FYI the technical bits are waaaaaay beyond me (as most of you know) -
this is merely commenting on the design of the thing.

Krunner is, for most new users, redundant. But for those users who know of it
- or remapped it to a nicer shortcut (Meta+Space for me) Krunner is awesome.
But having three paths and two of them vaguely hidden isn't a great way to
handle things. I think - and I know people will scream OSX so loud you could
shatter glass - is that we should make Milou an obvious Spotlight version.
Ween people on to using it to find files and folders?

Yes it will be called "a copy" but hell it will make it at least usable.

Whether it should replace Krunner - I think so. If we can ween people of
Krunner (and, please bear in mind, as long as there isn't a technical reason
why we should have both).

Further, if you asked me - and you haven't - I think that we should look at a
way to integrate all three paths to a search into one. I know I've been
flogging that dead horse for months now but a unified launcher set for search
of files/folders as well as contacts, applications and system settings with
maybe Milou integrated; that would be awesome.
(of course combined with another way of handling the concept of a launcher as
well as how to cut it away from the "panel" ideal and make it an integrated
part of the desktop instead)