QML-using app developers: use private.* imports

Mark markg85 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 27 17:37:57 UTC 2013

On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 11:21 PM, Sebastian Kügler <sebas at kde.org> wrote:

> On Wednesday, September 25, 2013 17:51:41 Mark wrote:
> > Doesn't your naming proposal completely ruin the org.kde.* stuff? Up
> until
> > now i could fairly safely assume that all QML KDE imports where hidden
> > under org.kde.* but that isn't the case anymore if you introduce
> > private.org.kde.*
>
> That's exactly the point: we don't want you to find it, much less to rely
> on
> it. It's basically application internal "stuff" you have no business with.
>
> > It looks like you miss a part in the url.. I would say something like
> this:
> > org.kde.public.* = public imports
> > org.kde.private.* = private imports
> >
> > But that would require changing all existing components to reflect this
> > idea..
>
> That, and it would encourage to maybe use it as second class API, and still
> cause us the same problems.

I think one can very easily expect a part called "private" to be just that
and that it should not be included. If one does do that then that person
deserves the pain when the private api changes. I don't think you should go
to private.org.kde since it breaks consistency. Or to me it looks like it
breaks consistency. org.kde.* is the consistent manner so somehow you
should figure out a way to add private included in that structure.

Another thing, why do you even need a private import location? Can't you
simply do local privates?

That would mean something like:
import "../private" as Private

or something along those lines. I don't get why it has to be in a global
namespace.