[plasma-framework] src/plasma: Look up dataengines in kf5/plasma/dataengines

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Sep 26 04:29:24 UTC 2013

On Thursday, September 26, 2013 04:21:21 Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> You can find numbers of the SSD runs in my email "Plugin locator performance
> ballpark" to kde-frameworks-devel from September, 5. I haven't cleaned up
> my measurements on rotating metal.

oh wow, that is not encouraging. :/ i’m suddenly less enthused by this idea.

> Bottom line, if we're still not happy with the performance, we might need an
> on-disk cache in KPluginTrader, but the complexity of keeping that up to
> date with a system as flexible, dynamic and component-driven as Plasma, is
> something, say, "worth avoiding".

problem is that 100-300ms on a high end machine is not acceptable.

given that we load plugins at various times during execution based on user
interaction, this will not just impact on startup, but during runtime.

 without a cache we’d end up having to do something truly fun like put the
lookups in a thread, keeping an in-memory cache ... not something i expect we
can ask of every application developer, either. basically what dfaure said in
the kf5-devel thread.

he also noted that it would be possible to use a cache that is updated when
the item gets put on disk. e.g. as part of “make install”. that would be
rather fantastic and probably resolve the issue entirely.