plugin plans

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Sep 25 19:47:59 UTC 2013

On Wednesday, September 25, 2013 11:48:50 Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> I'd like to install our binary plugins into subdirectories. This is in line

+1

> with how we'll do it across KF5. These plugins won't need .desktop files

+10

> The new API also allows us to use packages' metadata for querying. It means
> building up a KPluginInfo::List from metadata (so a bit of crawling through
> the filesystem, but probably not recursively, to list plugins. Looking at
> plasmapkg, the code to list packages is a bit convoluted right now, and I'd
> like to see that fixed.

it is convoluted because *some* of our packages registered .desktop files with
ksycoca, some didn’t. what i like about the new system is ksycoca dies as far
as we’re concerned and all packages, binary or scripted or just plain data
(e.g. wallpapers) can be treated identically. huzzah.

> With this in place, we can tackle more pieces of Plasma::PluginLoader to
> make it sycoca-free.
>
> Obviously, this is your chance to weigh in. :)

i have nothing to say other than “fuck yeah"