kill the systray?

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Tue Sep 24 15:06:14 UTC 2013

Hey,

Now that I have your attention ;), I'd like to discuss the future of the
system tray. I'm porting it right now to Qt5/KF5, and running into some
problems.

Quick background: The systemtray widget in Plasma supports three kinds of
"Items", traditional, xembed-based systray icons, dbus statusnotifiers and
embedded plasmoids. It's a bit of an odd widget (well, almost its own OS ;)),
with different implementations that put all of the above three into one system
tray. So far so good.

Two problems:

* Qt5 doesn't seem to have the API we need to do our xembed tricks anymore,
  especially QX11EmbedContainer is gone. If we even get it to work under X11,
  it seems entirely futile to expect this to be feasible in a Wayland world.

* Embedding Plasmoids doesn't work in the new world, and notmart has not idea
  yet how to solve this

When I asked Martin if he knew a way to do the xembed, he replied (being
Martin ;)) asking if we can just kill it and quoted starwars. I wonder: Can we
kill it yet?

For the plasmoid embedding, we'll need this, and I can only think of hacky
things (such as the panel containment helping out by talking to the systray,
for example).

Thoughts, opinions, what-do-I-miss?
--
sebas