Introducing Milou

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Sep 5 10:04:29 UTC 2013

On Thursday, September 5, 2013 01:33:04 Vishesh Handa wrote:
> * Each source returns a returns a set of types which it supports. For eg the
> nepomuk source returns - Documents/Images/Audio/Video/etc, whereas the
> Application Source returns Applications and KCModules.
>
> These types can be enabled/disabled. A source typically should check if a
> type is enabled, but even if it doesn't then the results will be discarded.
>
> * Each match is given a respective type which is then used to group them
> together.
>
> Because of these 2 differences, I couldn't use Plasma Runners, so currently

did you try?

it would be extremely simple to add such a “kind of search result” feature to
AbstractRunner and QueryMatch, and would be a rather nice addition.

btw, what type does the calculator return?

and obviously there is something “wrong” with the
AbstractRunner/RunnerManager/QueryMatch API since people keep feeling like
they have to reinvent it for the most trivial and unnecessary of reasons.

> For bookmarks I'm using the single runner
> mode. For the calculator, I've temporarily copied the code, because I could
> not figure out how to run two different Plasma::RunnerManagers in the same
> application in single source mode.

create 2 Plasma::RunnerManagers, load the desired plugin(s), call
setSingleRunnerMode on each.

or ..

just load calculator and bookmarks in a single RunnerManager. this won’t give
you the default search results for the bookmarks, but i’m not sure you really
want to list all the bookmarks on the system when there is no search term
anyways ...